Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Friday, May 12, 2023

Why???

I return today to the plaza across from the bridge where refugees will pass, if they make it.

The very first thing I notice is that there is only one police car - Texas highway patrol - and the usual preponderance of bp.

As I am waiting trying to figure out what is happening, a young man, whose parents crossed the river in the early 80’s, begins a conversation with me, asking me if I’m waiting for family as he is.

When I tell him kinda, I’m waiting for refugees crossing over he looks me directly into my eyes and guardedly asks me if I will give him my opinion about what is happening – and of course I do. He relaxes and then concurs with me about the atrocities that we are inflicting upon these people seeking asylum.

He tells me he was born here so he can pass freely across the border – as could his parents and older brother in the beginning but no longer.

He explains that only 60 people will be allowed to cross the border today, 60 people who have completed the cbp one mobil application: 30 in the morning and then 30 in the late afternoon.

It’s 90 degrees by this time around noon. His eyes so sad, he tells me this past December he bought 200 toys for the children stuck in the camp across the bridge and it wasn’t enuff. It wasn't 90 degrees then but more like 29 degrees.

This morning he saw lots of children sleeping on the ground, in line or still in the camp, in the intense sun, heat and humidity. I’ve only been standing here about 20 minutes and my clothes are totally wet.

His face reflects deep sorrow as well as utter disbelief.

He tells me his brother is here to pick him up, shakes my hand, and over his shrugging shoulders he asks me "Why?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home