Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Night visitors


I suddenly hear voices outside my truck but I don’t think they are related to me – I hope. I can’t tell exactly what they are saying but they are definitely male.

Maybe I have the sorry luck of parking in front of someone else’s picnic home. I did check for evidence of human occupation before parking and didn’t find anything.

I try to peer out my shut curtains. I can see over the very top of one window: there is a street light illuminating the street and part of the park, no people visible, but I only have about 3” to look through. I’m careful not to move a curtain or indicate I am in the truck.

It sounds like there are about 3 guys out there. One is doing most of the talking, the others are laughing. After several minutes, I decide they must just be hanging out and I try and try to go back to sleep.

They don’t seem to be getting closer or farther away, just the same. I can’t make out one word. Finally, I convince myself that if they intended to do me harm, they would be much more quiet. And they would have done it already.

Or maybe they’re working themselves up, getting the nerve together, to approach me. If so, at least they’re not hardened criminals.

I can hear them walking around but they don’t seem to be getting closer. Or louder. Just a few words. Laughter. A few more words. Laughter. Laughter. And more words.

I’m debating whether I should get up and go talk with them. It is close to 10pm now and I don’t really want to open the door. I don’t think they know that I am inside. I think they are waiting for me to come back maybe.

Oy vey. Suddenly I hear a car approaching, then I hear three car doors slamming, and silence.

What a relief. Off to sleep.

But sleep is temporary. Soon I’m hearing the same and more voices. They are laughing and carrying on, giggling like girls sometimes, sometimes howling at how funny they must be.

I strain to understand – the words and the jokes but only “Codepink” floats in the air many times in between Spanish. I think I might hear “si se peude” too.

They don’t sound scary but I think they are also drinking. Maybe they made a run to the liquor store – and to get more buddies. Whatever they are doing, they are really enjoying themselves. I’m through with them, but they are happy.

I wonder, don’t these guys have homes? Have families waiting for them on xmas nite? Have somewhere warm to be? Between putting circles around the truck and me, I’m trying to urge them away.

Just when I think I cannot take this anymore, it is 1:45 and getting really cold, they seem to walk towards the truck and then – nothing, silence, nada.

I don’t hear a car door, I don’t hear footsteps, I don’t hear a voice. It’s like they melted into the pavement. I edge the curtain a little and look out onto an empty street.

Wow. I sleep until 5:30am, when I think it is day time and I am relieved I made it thru the nite. 

I peer outside and there is evidence of several beer cans and bottles at the picnic table that weren't there last night. I think I should have greeted these guys, and then told them I am sleeping and to please be quiet at least. I think they would have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home