Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

How lucky can I be?


How lucky can I be? It is pitch black when I finally reach Puerto Escondido.

I take a street in the direction of the ocean that says “la playa” and hope it is not too steep. Two blocks later, it dead-ends into another road that I hope runs along the beach. It is populated both sides and although I can hear the ocean, I can’t see it.

I see another dirt road heading towards the ocean and at the corner of this intersection is a “Shalom Hostel”. It has a pretty iron fence and gate, with little xmas lites, and lots of greenery. I yell “hola” at the gate several times, competing with loud u.s. music.

No one comes to the gate and so I trudge back, decided to return to the highway and go a little deeper into Puerto Escondido before turning off.

I see two guys driving a water delivery truck and ask them where can I park along the beach. They tell me to return to the main road I was on and turn right at the second light. This I do, but this turns into a huge parking lot on a cliff overlooking the ocean.

I grimace and proceed. I am certainly not alone in the dark on the road, for there’s tons of traffic heading both ways on this skinny little bumpy under-construction stretch.

I pass the left that says “Centro” and make a note to return tomorrow. I drive on, passing some promising turns to the right toward the ocean, but want to get a look at more option, even a dark, minimal 20mph drive-by glance.

Finally, I see a road that clearly leads to the ocean – and I can see a string of street lights running parallel to the ocean. I turn down this street and in two blocks, it dead-ends into the lighted boulevard.

To the right, many people, bright lights, gay restaurants, snappy music, and ocean stretches; to the left, the same bright lights glow and the ocean stretches, but there are no people, and what appears to be homes instead of businesses on the other side.

First I travel down the populated side. It looks like a happening yet low-keyed resort town that I anticipate exploring tomorrow. I make a u-turn and head to the other side.

This side is beautiful. On my right is beach, some palm trees, and the ocean. On the left is empty space, homes, and a few walls. I see one potential park but continue in case I can find something better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home