Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Saturday, January 15, 2011

My first – almost 2nd – and third score!

This other side of the busy main street is not as promising as the ocean side.
But two restaurants do promise me oil, even though one says they barely use any but I am welcome to what they have. I will return on Tuesday to both of them.

When I get to my starting point, I decide to continue on this main street, that parallels the beach but is separated from the beach by a good block of businesses, restaurants, condominiums and the like - so the beach and ocean are visible but not immediately accessible.

I was going to walk along the ocean but I can't bring myself to trudge through soft sand so hot I have to put on my shoes to step on it. So I decide to leave that until tonite or tomorrow morning.

I reach the last restaurant that actually is on the beach and the street because there no longer is a block separating the ocean from this main road.

After explaining several times to their total amusement, I finally convince them I really do want aceite comado (used oil). Two highly amused men grab the garbage bag out of the can and proceed to ransack it until they find a large water bottle ¾ full of used veggie oil!

I thank them profusely and they promise to save me all their oil! I promise to bring them back a container.

My next stop is the BEST! I stop at yet another huge hotel and at first the guy at the desk gives me the line that first says someone else buys it, and then that someone just picked it up.

When I push for when I can come again to get the next oil, he sends me outside and around through the guard shed to meet Franciso and off to get THREE 20 liter containers with various levels of used oil in them!

I’m PSYCHED! We carry them out in front of the gate to the sidewalk and I tell them I will return in 10 minutes with my truck.

I hurry back towards my truck carrying the bottle of oil recovered from the garbage and the previous restaurant. Just before I get to the street where my truck is parked, the owner of another small restaurant is standing out front.

He asks me where I am going with that bottle and I explain to him. Before I can wink, he has grabbed the almost full bottle out of my hands, marched to the back of his restaurant to the tiny kitchen and demands the cook to fill the bottle from their deep fryer!

I’m touched yet again. I’m on a roll! I take the now full, warm bottle of used veggie oil and head to my truck and three more containers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home