Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Monday, January 17, 2011

Solar in Alcapulco

I'm walking down the main drag, exactly a block from my block where I turn towards the beach to where I now 'live' in Acalpulco.

I glance up the street away from the beach and see a "Solar Energy" sign. First I think this must be the solar water heater business I saw in Colima.

Then I look more closely and think I should check it out, just in case. My solar is failing at night, earlier and earlier. It used to fail in the wee hours of the morning, or when I tried to use a light when the fridge was running; but now it fails an hour after dark.

I have tried turning down my refrigerator and limiting my use of any appliance to when it is full sun. I also turn off my fridge at night when I need lights or to connect my computer.

But it is still getting weaker and weaker. And I’m worried I might need new batteries, as they are taking water every week now.

I turn off the main drag and walk down the block past the hotel and another few security guards standing in front of tall gates, to the Solar business, which has it's own rolling yellow iron gate in front of it.

I peer through the grated park of the gate and can see a couple of men sitting in an enclosed office off to the right. I don't know how to whistle so I rap my keys against the metal and yell "hola".

Finally one of the men hears me and comes out. I speak with him as well as I can - these are new Spanish words I need - solar system, energy, electricity, failing, HELP!

He brings me inside the metal gate into the office and there sits Guillermo, an older man who not only is a Solar expert but can do it in english!

AND he also knows my truck, exactly where it is parked, and what it says! He actually lives in the building next to where I am parking!

Talk about being at the right place at the right time.

Guillermo tells me he is the ONLY solar business in the entire state of Guerrero - and I happen to glance down a street and park down another street that will enable me to connect with him.

He promises me that they will come and take a look at my system after he has lunch.

I hope this is not yet another unfulfilled promise!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home