Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sunday finales


I vow to never miss a sunrise or sunset while I am near the ocean again.

I sit on the beach, saying “no gracias” over and over to most all the vendors trudging by, but I do say yes to several womyn selling food!

I buy a mango on a stick, covered with chili and lime, several fish and cheese quesadillas that I’m sure are totally deep fried, and a coconut, shelled with it’s milk still inside!

And I buy tejocota, a rosy, rectangular fruit candy that I do not know about. It is delightful – or maybe I’m just sugar-deprived.

I am so content and full, my earlier troubles dissipate with the sun, as she slips behind the land mass and paints and repaints her fabulous story across the darkening skies. The moon is almost full and she adds her two billion scents to the astounding palette.

I return to my casa-camion to remove my wet bathing suit and dress in anticipation for my exploration of the Lesbian-appearing club I have seen on my walk today.

“After dark” I’ve been told it opens and so, it is after dark that I head down the 5 or 6 blocks toward the rainbow post.

When I arrive, the place is totally dark, but the chain is off the entrance to the patio, and the glass doors are standing open.

I enter the doors and immediately face a large, circular cement stairway, also very dark. I make my way cautiously down the steps to the sound of loud music.

When I reach the bottom I can see it is level with the beach, and leads out onto the beach and in onto a large room with large cushioned benches, a stage, and a huge bar tucked into the far corner where the only womon in evidence I see is working behind the bar.

I look first out onto the beach and see there is an area cordoned off by vinyl signs the size of narrow blankets, between the bar and the beach.

Two or three groups of young gay men are gathered together, squatting, sitting, and standing, talking rapidly, drinking, laughing, hanging out.

I return to the large inside space and approach the bartender.  I ask her, in my still limited Spanish, if this is a Lesbian bar. She says yes it is and I say, where are all the lesbians? I can only see young gay men.

She laughs and says I have to return after 10 or 11pm tonite. Or I can come on Wednesday nite, the next time they are open, and for $2000 or $3000 pesos, there will be an “open bar”.

I’m like, okay, my two unfortunate choices: return much later or return on Wednesday and spend almost $200-250 us dollars to be around totally drunk womyn?

Oh well, I’ll have to take my chances and keep trying to contact womyn organically, on my strolls through sand and streets.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home