Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Getting arrested

I return to the Hart Building, minus the banner and Kevyn. People are still chanting and I can see a couple of small banners individuals are holding. I also see Dennis being arrested on the first floor.

I hurry to the 3rd floor, where there are banks of TV cameras and lots of activists along with persons who are working in the building or visiting. I join a group of activists chanting over the balcony.

The police have given their three warnings on the megaphone downstairs. It looks like most of the activists have dispersed. Maybe they are on these floors.

I chant with everyone as a police officer approaches and once again asks us to stop chanting or be arrested. He tells us we have already been given many repeated warnings.

I ask him how does that work? We have given our government many repeated warnings and we are just ignored. He kinda smiles and nods in agreement. He asks if we want to be arrested. I say hell no, we want Congress and the President arrested for continuing old and starting new wars.

I walk off around the corner and run smack into a dozen TV cameras. I decide I might as well give them something to record!

"We are the 99% and We are against all wars" I shout. I hear some voices joining me. And a young woman walks by my side, chanting.

A couple of police officers come from behind and tell me gently I need to stop chanting or be arrested. I chant louder. They put their hands on my arm and I slip slowly to the ground. The young woman is at first afraid but I try to mouth to her "delay tactics". She gets it and immediately tries to take my pulse.

Several police officers gather around as does the press. Several more officers are called in. The Lieutenant asks me if I need a medic. Several times. Several times I feebly say no.

My young doctor friend tells me my pulse is irregular and I should rest. She helps delay and occupy the cops.

Then four of the officers try to pick me up, which is a feat for anyone! 155 pounds of dead weight! Poor fellas. But they do & I shout the whole time. I do NOT want to be arrested! I want all our wars to end - 6 countries we are invading, $2 BILLION a DAY for wars. I want the president to be arrested! I want Congress to be arrested! I want corporate war profiteers to be arrested!

I hope my message gets on the news. The police are very slow, very careful not to hurt me, I'm making them work. And four are arresting me. And they are still kind and careful, even after the elevator doors close and the cameras are off of them. I have a moment of distress when the doors close on just us, but they maintain their cool. I am white and have an activist community full of lawyers in my corner.

And I'm arrested, handcuffed, and helped into the paddywagon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home