Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Hay ride!

I decide I can't drag Jasi outta bed this morning and drag him to the SOA protest. I decide I really want to spend the day just focusing on him, so that's what we do at this lovely state park in the mountains of southern Georgia.

I am surprised how full it is, mostly with rv campers but some tent campers as well. In fact, Jasi spies some children at a tent site and off he goes to make friends.  I hurry after him and cautiously approach, feeling them out.

It is two young-ish straight white southern couples with 2 children each from 2 1/2 years to 10 years old. They welcome Jasi & he is immediately attracted to the older 5 year old and not the child his age.

They play together at their camp site and I remember to remind Jasi to come back to our site if he's hungry, as I tell the parents he has special food to eat and cannot share theirs, thank you very much.

After I do the dishes and put away the food, Jasi & I walk around the entire lake, looking for his ball. The first thing he did last night after I took out the box of toys for him, was loose his ball into the lake - it rolled down the hill, gaining so much speed, we couldn't catch it, before splashing into the seemingly still water.

I raced to get one of my 10 foot banner polls to fetch it out, but it just floated farther and farther from the shore, much to Jasi's chagrin - and desperate screams.

The ranger has cautioned against swimming or wading, citing moccasins and cottonmouths in the water. The mushy bank swiftly dropped off into a muddy bottom thickly layered with winter brown leaves - a condition I am sure is ideal for a moccasin/cottonmouth home! I did not step into the water to retrieve the soccer ball.

The sun set so quickly, in seconds we could no longer see the ball, even though it was mostly white with black and red stripes.

And this morning, in the gorgeous light of fresh, new sun, we could not find the ball banked anywhere but had a pleasant hike around the entire lake. Jasi walked the entire way, most likely over a mile, even though he really want to ride his bike.

Tonite there will be a ranger talking about bears and then a free hay ride! We are both excited.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home