Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Connecting police violence against Black people with military violence against Brown people.

I have finally arrived in Madison at the airport on this first day of the 90 mile walk to connect police violence with military violence.

Madison and Wisconsin, like every other part of this country, are really important places to have this walk and make this connection. Although Madison has only a small percentage of Black people, less than 8%, the jails are filled with at least 50% of Black people. Black people are 10 times as likely to get policed, picked up and arrested than white people.

Then Volk military base has joined the rapidly growing ranks of bases in the u.s.ofa. that operate drones, including training drone pilots. In 2009, there were 2 such bases (that we knew about) in the u.s. Today there are 150 (that we know about).

So this walk is making the connection between the violence against Black people perpetrated here on this land by police with the violence against brown & Muslim people perpetrated by our military on lands thousands of miles away from our country.

I have missed over half of today's march because even though I flew all nite to get here in time, my suitcase didn't make it with my early morning flight so I had to wait until the next flight arrived at noon in order to pick it up and bring it with me.

Prior to coming, I had considered the challenges of shifting with my right arm and healing dislocated shoulder but I totally forgot how much physical upper body strength my truck demands when hauling myself into the driver's seat and/or into the camper part....grrrrr.

But I was able to drive, shifting at times with my left hand, especially in the lower more difficult gears, but changing up to my right hand in the higher gears.

The womon who is bottom-lining support for the walkers picked me up in the church parking lot where we are going to be spending the evening and where I parked my truck and then took me to meet the walkers and join for the last couple of miles.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home