Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

The thing that scares me more than tRump...



A Latina family pulls in next to me at this nearly deserted rest stop where I’ve crashed for the night. I put my breakfast on hold to hop down and talk with the 40ish womon who is photographing my truck. She tells me she’s a Californian too, peers at me and asks me if see’s seen me on tv. I say maybe, if she’s from the Bay but no, she’s from the other California, Los Angeles.

Later I laugh at this: the first time my daughter & I went to California, we both hated L.A. because everyone there was working on being ‘discovered’ and would ask those kinds of questions. If you admitted you’ve never been on tv or in the movies, you lost your new friends immediately!

She tells me they are returning from South Carolina so they haven’t been keeping up with the news. Her warm smiles morph to serious as she steps closer to me and then states her fears in a low, urgent voice: things are not good and he’s going to take us into nuclear war.

We share our despair and for several moments, I feel the heaviness weight my heart down again – but it is a shared despair and fear and knowing her, even for a few moments, helps strengthen me.

I tell her I KNOW we the people can prevent this war, if only we have the commitment and compelling desire above and beyond all desires.

And that’s what scares me more than tRump’s warmongering fascism: our unwillingness to do whatever it takes to END and PREVENT our wars NOW!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home