Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Sunday, October 16, 2005

oh shut up

all the highways thru the west & midwest seem to be named after wars & the men who fight them: the veterans highway, the purple heart highway, the armed forces highway; and the rest stops also - some honoring of men who are willing to kill - and to die. the militarization of our society is all around us. what if soldiers were not heroes? i started a poem with that focus - of course, my lap top died and so did my writings - that was the last trip.

nebraska is overwhelmingly pro-peace. i do not get one fuck you. i do interact with a middle-aged white woman who is studying the 'codepink:women for peace' side of my truck. i observe her from a distance - i'm jogging around the rest stop, trying to re-vitalize my muscles. she is taking so long reading that simplest side of my truck, i'm again thinking she's pro-peace. she's still there after i've jogged for 20 minutes, moving slowly down the side of the truck. i can't imagine what she's thinking so i approach her, a little breathlessly, and say brightly, 'hi!'. she turns to me & declares 'i love bush'. 'oh,' i say as friendly as i can, 'so you're one of the 36% of americans who still approve of the president. i'm glad to meet you. i'm wondering why you still love bush?' she glares at me & hurries up the hill toward the bathrooms, tossing over her shoulder a nasty 'oh just SHUT-UP'.

i'm not proud that i instantly yelled after her 'oh, that's why you still love the president - neither one of you can talk.' knee jerk reaction - i drove away. peace, sam

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home