Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Military women Las Cruces

We have set up on a major frontage road running along side I25 in Las Cruces - in front of Republican Congressman Pearce's office.

About 6 or so Las Cruces CodePINKers and peace activists have joined me this beautiful, cold noon. We set up WITS and Real Faces of War; we hold banners and Vicki has brought a wall of peace doves with the names of dead soldiers.

A womon drives into the parking lot and asks me what we are doing. I tell her we are ending war and asking her representative to commit publically to defunding the war.

She begins to weep. "My son returned from Iraq two weeks ago" I finally realize she is trying to tell me.

I touch her shoulder thru the open car window. She glances up at me and says through more tears "he heard last night that he has to go back again".

I am so sorry. I give her the GI rights hot line info. I beg her to park and join us. I tell her Pearce needs to hear her voice.

She smiles sadly, says she cannot, and instructs me to speak for her.

I do.

Another very young woman pulls into the parking lot on the hill above us, parks her car, and gets out. She thanks us over and over and over again. I ask her to join us. She motions to her car and says she has two young daughters inside - and a husband in Iraq.

She tells us she is so grateful, her husband is so grateful, they believe in what we are doing. She wants her husband home and she tells us over and over, she believes what we are doing is right and to please keep doing it, no matter what.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home