Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Sunday, October 16, 2005

leaving nebraska

i make sure i go to wild oats before i leave omaha - what a growing city! i unsuccessfully try to connect to the internet after i go shopping. a middle-aged white man approaches me swiftly across the parking lot. 'i LOVE your truck' he gushes, telling me how much inspiration it has given him to see me & the truck. another young white dyke comes out the store to tell me that omaha has already voted to impeach bush! she explains she's a playwrite and last year wrote a play putting bush on trial - a partication play where the audience is the jury. apparently the play ran several weeks and each verdict was consistent: bush was impeached!

i drive by the library to try to get on-line - it is closed. as i proceed slowly past, several homeless men come running thru the park facing the library, waving their arms, shouting excitedly & leaping with fists extended into the air!!! enthusiastic peace symbols proceed their rush across the street. i stop to talk with 3 or 4 of the guys, a racially mixed group. they tell me sad stories of viet nam vets & now iraq war vets homeless, hungry, without medical & especially psychiatric help. they disparage bush & cheney, they mention haliburton & those kellog & root people. i'm amazed at how informed these raggedly looking men are. they even mention the national guard & new orleans...

i mull over this experience in nebraska - my last trip, i ran into many miitary families still supporting bush - now they are either silent or absent. yeah! on to iowa & the midwest! peace, sam

1 Comments:

  • At 27/11/05 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sometimes, I don't know if I should be amazed or just be mere amused at ordinary people who seem to know more than we do.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home