Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Friday, January 07, 2011

Beginning filtering watering

This morning, I get up early, well rested, and ready to work - i.e. filter oil into the tank - but there is heavy fog again, no sun, and only 21 volts showing on my charger – not enough to run the motor for the filter yet.

So I begin with the batteries – adding their weekly water supply, 4+ liters again. I’m running out of power after dark, which is okay as it is only the fridge that runs all nite. If I want to use a light after dark, I just shut off the fridge and use the light until I’m finished.

Then I turn the fridge back on and sometime during the nite, it dies. If I’m going to make popcorn or use another small appliance, I have to do it when the sun is out and I have more than enough electricity.

I don’t know how much longer the batteries are going to hold up tho. They overcharge during the day in the intense sun, and run out at night. Grrrr.

The sun is beginning to come out so I put on my “veggie oil” clothes and get to work prepping for filtering.

Fortunately by the time spread the blanket, haul all the containers and buckets I’ve collected onto the blanket, release the hoses, pump, and filter from the locked propane cage, and get the new filters and attachments out the truck, the sun has pushed the voltage up to 24.5 volts and climbing! Yeah!

The quality of most the oil is great. One bucket full seems a little hydrogenated and clogs the filter swiftly. It is so very difficult to undo the filter. I ask a guy passing by to help me and he takes one look at how dirty I am, the filter is, the whole set-up is, and tells me he’s so sorry but he’s rushing to work.

I finally get it off myself – yeah! A police officer drives by, leans out his car, and asks me if I’m selling anything. I explain what I’m doing and he says oh, trabajando – I’m working!

Soon several more men come by and I explain to them what I’m doing. The men are impressed and pleased that I am ecological and care about the environment and ending war. They promise to do what they can too.

I am very thrilled when I finish. This is the easiest time I’ve had filtering the oil. I'm getting a system down, more organized, returning everything to its proper place.

I only have ½ a tank but I have two more places to go to today that have promised me oil, and maybe I’ll find more places.

I have my bathing suit on so I’m going to wash in the shower by the ocean, get dressed in clean clothes, and head for more veggie oil!  


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home