Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Wednesday, June 02, 2021

Be realistic: DEMAND the impossible

A young, pillsbury-ish white man dressed in the polyester garb of the gas station worker approaches me saying he has something else for me that I need to paint on my truck.

As I'm stuck at one of the diesel pumps, I bite off my 'normal' response- "go paint your own damn truck" but smile stiffly as all the fuckin maga slogans flash behind my eyeballs like the neon billboards.

Instead I attempt to appear interested as I ask "oh yeah, what's that?"

He actually (mis) quoted Che Guevara & said "know what is realistic and ask for the impossible"

"Be realistic: DEMAND the impossible"

Not bad for a young very low-wage (for white males at least) worker in rural, republican, mostly white Pennsylvania town. 

He steps a little closer & confides in me that he loves the 60's & believes this quote is from 1968. Of course, the minute he says 1968, the assassination of MLK blazes across my mind.

He bids me farewell as I get a phone call from the tow company. A little later he comes back and lets me know he's leaving for the day.

I would like to have talked with him more but now I'm talking with the insurance company that is supposed to provide roadside service for me. 

"God speed" he whispers as he waves. At least he didn't say "god bless you" so I'd have to give him my "lesbians bless you" retort.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home