Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Friday, January 07, 2011

Terminate the SOA


As I travel through México and as I am more and more exposed to the real nature of the people who inhabit this country, the more anger, rage, resentment, helplessness I feel towards our military industrial complex and all that entails.   

There’s not a word terrible enough to mean how horrendous our military industrial complex and supporting policies are. In this case, the SOA.

I meet men who have somehow entered the u.s. to seek work that is despicable to most u.s. born men, to try to save the lives of themselves and their families, only to either have the work disappear or they get deported.

---PLEASE see the Lonely Harvest: the Bracero ‘Program’ Documentary – my ‘ …’ for the ‘program’ was more like ‘enslavement’---

I meet men who have been trained to kill, to murder their own people, to swell with the sick self-importance of killers, to video-game-fight to the death – for what? Control of the people so that the rich can stay richer & richer, and the poor become poorer and poorer. 

I see men and boys expertly sweeping the dirt, the house, the sidewalk; I see them hunched over outdoor cement sinks, confidently scooping water and scrubbing pots and pans.

I meet men who actually stand back, shyly offer their help, and wait for me to accept; men who do not need to take over the ‘manly’ task I’m doing but who are ready to assist if I want them to. 

I meet baby-faced boys handling dangerous weapons casually, nonchalantly, as if they were swinging a broom over their shoulders. Weapons made in the usa, paid for by us tax payers, policy after policy passed by our government, to hurt these people.

I see men and boys hanging together, playing with each other, roughhousing, tossing each other around, grinning laughing unselfconsciously, enjoyment radiating in their every move.

I see the same men working with their hands, their backs, laboring harder in a day than the majority of people in the u.s. have ever labored in their lifetime..

I see people who are desperate to escape their poverty – and I’m not talking about their lack of ‘things’, a car, a tv, a 4 bedroom house – I’m talking food, water, land to build and live on, means to support themselves.

I see men with children hanging around their necks, children in their arms, children almost as tall as they are holding their hands or arms slung around each other.

I see people anxious to escape their prisons of NAFTA-grown ‘rewards’, or people who haven’t seen their children, their parent, their spouse in years maybe, who are unable to get a simple visa while I sashay across any border.

And then I see Nancy Smith has been sentenced to 6 months in jail for protesting the training of these men, i.e. the breaking of their morality, the maiming their goodness, the destruction of their humanity, so they can be the killers of our empire. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ347pQQXV8

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home