Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Monday, December 12, 2011

Animals? Humans?

I find the food coop quite by accident, coming into Las Cruces by a different route than Barbara has suggested.

The spiffy white male with the glistening shaved head behind the counter, helpfully goes on line to figure out where the Occupy Las Cruces is. In the mean time, a womon gently bouncing a beautiful little baby, maybe 6 months old, on her hip tells me she knows exactly where it is.

She gives me great directions, much to the other guy's surprise. He then points out the window to my truck and tells me I should add "animals" to the sign on my truck.

It hurts me some human beings are so much more compassionate when it comes to animals then other humans. I smile wanly, wanting to tell him to paint his own goddamn vehicle, but merely indicate I'm done painting.

He insists I should add "animals" as didn't I know that many, many more animals are killed each year than people? As I look at him, most likely not hiding my distaste and shock, he insists that is true: 9 million he claims, and this is so much more than human deaths.

I tell him I am not into ranking suffering and that my first priority and commitment is to ending wars against people. I am thinking is he counting mice and rats? Species?

He continues to attempt to get me to paint animals on my truck. I ask him if he knows that a baby dies of starvation ever 6 seconds in our world? He shrugs, as I see him trying to do the math - can he divide 9 million by one year times how many seconds divided by 6?

Again I urge him not to rank suffering. He REALLY wants me to paint animals on my truck. It is almost like the fight over wanting to claim all the oppression for my 'category' of victim.

He doesn't really care about all those baby humans because he's too busy caring about all those baby animals. I'm pissed. I say I guess it must be because his baby is not in danger of being killed. He tells me all animals are someones baby.

I ask him if he thinks the murder of his baby has the same impact on him as on the father of a murdered baby rat? He blinks his eyes rapidly and I notice his eyelids are also hairless although he does have eyebrows.

I take my leave, to his disgusted men-hate-loosing stare. The woman with the baby smiles & waves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home