So you want to have a Round Table!!!!
Format: Seneca Falls Model (see below – in D.C. too Sept 11-21st)
Focus on Topic: Congressional Vote in DC & our actions to determine that vote. Framing our work: 1) “evil” white house; 2) Congress not representing us; 3) People are not stepping forward
We will not use such statements as “that will never happen”, “that will never work” etc. but instead we will use our analytical framework to figure out obstacles to making something work, and then make a plan for overcoming those obstacles i.e. every stumbling block is a potential stepping stone!
No self-depreciating i.e. I’m shy, not smart, etc.etc. – or of others
One minute time limit; wait until everyone gets a chance to speak before talking a second time. (asking womyn to step forward) Try to be precise; limit ‘explanations’ i.e. I’m late because I stopped at the store to get….; avoid put-downs both of yourself & others i.e. I don’t speak very good…
Everyone individually & together is responsible for what happens tonite. If something is missing, bring it; if something is going off track, put it back on track.
We are a team, we work as a team, with activists willing to bottom-line, coordinate, and point people – and we can rotate these jobs
The weight of one’s criticism will be equivalent to the work one has put into the action/event; and criticism must be accompanied by willingness to do the work to implement the improvement
Format: Seneca Falls Womyn’s Encampment Model
1) Grounding – sharing meal; Janet’s DC & Zanne’s reportbacks; welcome w/agreements
2) Moment of silence – Patrice – taking time to remember the dead, dying, murdered
3) Mourning – Betsy Rose song “For the Mothers”, bewailing killing, all our losses, touching our grief
4) Outrage – introductions: introduce ourselves by putting our outrages on the table – try not to repeat what someone else has said
5) Empowerment – a) Betsy Rose song “Here I Stand”; b) already planned: strike, Hold Our Ground, Nancy Pelosi & DiFi encampments; c) lies we have to smash: support troops, time-line, bench marks, civil war/genocide;
a) small groups: brainstorming action strategies for dc: what will compel the 86 representatives and 37 senators to vote against funding war?
We will not allow the right-wing or mainstream press to determine our actions or how we decide to be at congress – we will consider the source & we will not react to outsiders’ characterization of our actions or beings. We will define who we are &amp; what we want to do; we will not be co-opted by ‘bad’ press, etc.
6) Strategies – who is willing to do what – sign-up sheets – 2 bottom-liners per area
7) Ending Circle – step forward: activists; one more step forward: leaders/organizers
We will be vigilant & aware of attempts to undermine our work, both from within & without – and we will not allow for the destruction of our cohesiveness, the distraction from our work & goals, the deterring of our focus from ending war & violence